Friday, August 4, 2017

Summer Snack Time!

So a few weeks ago I asked for your help with some new summer time snacks.  Thank you for your ideas and your organizational hints too.  Carter is just 3 so this is the first summer where he's had a bit more free range on snacks and such.  He is a major grazer so in order for that to be ok I needed to up my snack game so that hes not eating his weight in fruit snacks (please don't tell his dentist).

To start I put a basket at his level in both the fridge and in the pantry.  All other snacks are up high so he can only choose from what is in his basket.  I'm hoping he will begin to understand that once he eats a certain snack there are no more like it in there for the rest of the day......I'm sure that will take a while but we discuss it often.


Here are the things that are in the pantry:
(I bought large boxes and used snack bags but I think I will get some small reusable containers)

Popcorn
Veggie Straws
Apple Straws
Yogurt bites
Goldfish
Fruit Snacks
Raisins/Yogurt Covered Raisins
Granola Bars/Fruit Bars
Pretzels
Applesauce
Dried Fruit
Bananas
Apples
Nuts (the pieces not whole ones b/c I am petrified of choking)
Mini Muffins



And here is what goes in the fridge:
Cheese sticks (a few different types)
Yogurt
Hummus/Veggies
Boiled Eggs
Pickles
Berries
Peppers

You could also have various drink options available.  We have a drink/cup system already and only do milk and water but you could have drinks available and when they are gone its water for the rest of the day.

Now my biggest concern was how to keep the fridge foods fresh.  What I've found is I only put a few things in at a time and I use that basket to pull extra items for meals or to grab when we are headed out.  I pack his lunch 90% of the time if we are going to be out and about because he's a pretty picky eater and its a waste of money to buy him a kids meal at most places.


No comments:

Post a Comment